Hello everyone, I thought I would give an update to what is happening in the world of our little Noah. So far he has been to the pediatrician a few more times then we would like, but I think after tomorrow's visit we won't have to see the doctor again till he next well visit. The reason for the additional appointments is Noah's not gaining any weight. He left the hospital at 7 lbs 13 oz and at his first appointment he weighed in at 7 lbs 11 oz so they thought we should come back in two days to see how things were going.
We went back a couple of days later, last Thursday, and he had not gained any weight, but at the same time he did not lose anymore either. The doctor wanted to supplement with formula though just so that he would be getting all he needed. As a new mom this is not what I wanted to hear. I thought I was all he would ever need. Luckily my mom was there with me and said it's not that big of a deal and he just needs a little boost. So we started on the formula (after I would feed him he would get an ounce or two of formula just to tide him over).
The formula they gave us was Similac. Well Noah did not agree with this formula. He basically screamed the rest of the day Thursday and Friday. He was not the little boy that I bragged about! By Saturday morning, after a late night for Eric and his mom, we went back to the pediatrician to see what was the matter. We didn't see our normal doctor because it was just whoever was on call, but they were very nice. Again Noah hadn't gained anymore weight, but hadn't lost either. He tested to make sure he didn't have a milk allergy (which he did not thankfully) and gave us a different formula (Enfamil) to try. We crossed our fingers and tried the new formula when we got home. Noah actually went to sleep right away and didn't cry!!!! This was music to our ears.
Ever since then he has been doing great. Crying only when he is hungry and wants some more attention (which I am more than happy to give him!!!). He is even feeding better and using less and less of the formula which is what I was hoping would happen. So hopefully when we got to our appointment tomorrow we will get good news that he is gaining weight and won't need the formula anymore. Well the little guy is waking up now for his next meal. I will write again once we have seen the doctor to let everyone know how his weight is doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment