Tuesday, June 3, 2008

mother nature hates the internet

Well, maybe not directly, but it is still her fault that we had no internet connection when we arrived home on Sunday.

This blog was suppose to be a light and humorous ode to my sister's open house and graduation that we attended up in Fort Wayne this weekend. (which I guess will happen once I get this rant out of the way) Everything was fun filled and busy, and I was fully ready to blog about everything as soon as we got home. However after unloading our vehicles, (yes we love gas soooo much we took them both) I was greeted with these 5 deadly words "Eric, we have no TV!"

Now if your failing to make the connection, we currently receive our internet and TV through the same service provider...which all goes through the same internet router. So no TV means no internet.

I proceeded to try and fix the problem myself for 30 mins, then spent 45 mins with the tier 1 support tech on the phone, then about 1 min 37 secs with the tier 2 support guy, only to find out the storm that raged through here friday night (check local listings) had successfully knocked out our router. I also learned from Darnell (tier 2 tech), that Andy (tier 1 tech) should have just called for someone to come to our house instead of wasting the next 44 mins of my life. But maybe that is why Andy is not tier 2. He is not able to comprehend that 3 green flashing lights and one red flashing light equals "OOOOhhh, thats not good man". Andy was not able to "hook me up bro" like Darnell was capable of doing.

which leads me to one of my pet-peeves........why can't I receive a number to go directly to tier 2 support? Is there some law that states you must proceed with mindless activities, and constant waiting, before being able to solve your problem? I understand the need for those not technically savvy, but how about for those that are? Are we forever doomed to this time wasting experience. Maybe I should pre-record my answers since they all seem to be about the same....of course past experience has shown that doesn't even help.

Eric: I have restarted my computer but that has not solved the problem
Customer Support: Ok great. Could you please restart your computer for me
Eric: I just did that
Customer Support: O, right. Um, well....could you do it again.
Eric: Even though it won't work?
Customer Support: Did you already restart it?
Eric: Are you paying attention?
Customer Support: Ok great. Could you please restart your computer for me

What I really want to say is "Could you please turn your help sheet to the last page where it says 'I will now transfer you to our level two technician'" The only problem is, the current page they are on would need to tell them to do that.

In all fairness, my experience Sunday was about the best I have received yet, but it is still frustrating none the less. Within 24 hours and couple more phone calls, I was able to move our appointment up a day (maybe I will rant about that issue another time) and we are now able to watch Rachel Ray and E! news without any hiccups.

With that out of the way, maybe now I can finally write about our past weekend

Side Thought:
I wonder what kind of disaster it would take to reach tier 3 support, and who would be on the other end to help you.....

2 comments:

The Beauvais Family said...

I know it wasn't funny, but that was really funny. Your rant actually perked me up! :)
Tina

Karen said...

Nice rant! And oh so true!