Monday, November 24, 2008

the power of "we"

I had the pleasure of talking with my sister this weekend, thanks to the power of the internet and two tiny little web cams. She is currently living in Switzerland right now, so it makes live communication tough at times. Before talking, she left me a message as she reminisced about our childhood;

"So I was talking about you this weekend. I went to visit the Swiss alps and got dumped on by a foot of snow. I told everyone how when we were little we used to make igloos in the backyard. Well, when I say 'we' I mean you built them while I gave moral support...and when I say 'moral support', I mean I went inside to stay warm."

Ahh, those were the days. Little would I know that the term "we" would still haunt me to this day. Kind of like on Sunday how 'we' went outside to hang Christmas lights. Now don't worry you Christmas purists, I haven't turned them on. I was simply.... sorry. WE, were simply taking advantage of the warm weather. As history has proven, if I (we) decide to wait until after thanksgiving, the weather seems to get progressively worse, and our calender begins to rapidly fill.

Speaking of full calendars, we had 3 full nights of activity this past weekend. Friday night we each went to separate "boy/girl" parties, Saturday night was a birthday party for a co-worker's wife, and Sunday night was Sara's company party. Instead of having a holiday party, they have what they call "Founder's Day" the Sunday before Thanksgiving. The evening usually consists of a fancy dinner at a different location around the Indianapolis area, usually places in which the firm has recently done a big project. (Last 4 years have been at Bridgewater, IMA, Eiteljorg, and Conner Prairie for those familiar w/ the area) They also dedicate a portion of the evening to acknowledge those who donate their time to different organization around town. They then chose an individual to award them with a donation to the charity of their choice.

Outside our busy evenings, we spent an afternoon at Lowe's picking out tile for our master bathroom project and WE did laundry, swept the house, cleaned the bathrooms, put away the dishes, and are CARRYING A CHILD. (if you couldn't tell, I took a jab at myself.....your welcome dear)

So with that; Sara, baby, and I are going to get some sleep as we have a big week ahead of us. I just hope the little seed likes mashed potatoes.

1 comment:

Carolyn Farny said...

I GOT A SHOUT OUT- I LOVE IT! Go Igloos