Thursday, May 24, 2012

What I've learned so far...

Little Luke is only 3 1/2 weeks old, but I have learned quite a few things to help ease our transition into a family of four that I thought I would write out so that I didn't forget the little things.


- White noise is the best thing ever for babies.  Whether it is the dust buster tucked under the swing, the vacuum sweeping the carpet for the third time that day, the hairdryer, or the fan in the bathroom, our little guy loves noise.


-Swings are a life saver.  I actually found this out with Noah, but thankfully Luke is a swing lover as well.  It makes his naps easy and Noah and I can go about our normal things around him and he just swings right along sleeping away.


- Big brothers need just about as much attention (if not more at times) than a newborn (Luke is a very easygoing newborn, going with the flow and not a major crier).  There have been some major tantrums that I know are just a part of him still wanting all of my attention, but it does make for long days when his favorite phrase is, "I can't".  We have come up with a solution (hopefully) that so far has worked.  Eric went out and bought a ten pack of new cars and every few days, if there has been no major meltdowns, he gets a new one.  If he has a meltdown, the last car gets taken away.  So far only one car has been given out (and taken away once), but he gets excited talking about what the next car will be like.


- Friends and family who offer help are the greatest gift of all.  We have been very blessed with the help we have received from our friends and family. I haven't had to cook a meal since Luke was born thanks to people bringing us food (as well as the leftovers that comes along with the meals!) or from going out to eat with family. Also, friends have come over to play with Noah or take him to their house for a little break for mommy.  I am oh so thankful for that!


- I thought having one kid was hard, having a toddler and a newborn is a lot harder.  Now it's not necessarily bad, just harder to juggle two kids. The first time around I had no idea what to do with a screaming newborn (and Noah loved to scream).  This time around I have no idea what to do with two screaming kids, so that is the new learning curve.  Luckily these moments don't come too often, they just seem like time is standing still when they do come around.

Now I know this list is no where near finished, but again I just wanted to write down a few of the highlights.  On a side note, baby brother is growing leaps and bounds.  He is up over 8 pounds!!  We went to the breastfeeding support group that I had gone to with Noah.  I probably won't be able to go as religiously as I did with Noah, but it was still nice to go and make sure the little guy is gaining all the weight he needs to!

No comments: