This past weekend marked another action packed adventure for the Farny's (and those wrapped up in our world) To start it off, we stayed home again, for what I believe is the 3rd time this summer!
Saturday morning we had signed up to run our second 5k for the year, adding another 3.1 miles to our race total. Somehow we even convinced our friend Elijah to join the quest with us. Our first race took us through the mountainous region of Giest. Now the second would be along the flatlands of downtown Indy. Although we weren't able to run as we hoped leading up to the race, we knew we would survive given the level conditions.
We awoke early Saturday morning, got dressed, and turned on the TV to check the weather. Apparently my Taylor weather predicting skills haven't quite fully developed yet. Sara was afraid it was going to rain, I told her there was no chance for us to get rained on. Only problem was that the TV disagreed with me. There was a large red blob headed for downtown Indy, just about the time the race was suppose to start. (chalk another one up for the "Taylors") Unsure of whether the race would still happen, we drove downtown anyway to check out the scene.
Upon first arriving, the rain was fairly steady and a lot of people were still headed towards the starting area. (Now mind you, this was a 5k/1 mile 'family fun walk' race. Which translates to A LOT of walkers and A LOT of children in wagons....why wagons?) The crazies outside were a mix of the hard core runners, and the young parents loading their small children into their desired mode of transportation and handing them an umbrella.....since that would be my first instinct. "Here Timmy, why don't you hold this metal umbrella while you sit in your metal stroller while Daddy pushes you through a lighting storm." (I guess I failed to mention we were now experiencing lightning) So being the sensible people we are, we stayed in the truck were it was dry and could watch the crazies.
After 10 mins of waiting, Sara sacrificed her body to head to the front line and find out what was going on. She returned moments later as the race had been called due to weather. It seemed this storm would last for another hour or two, and they wouldn't be able to close off the streets at that time.
So we headed home to prepare for the baby shower.
The shower went extremely well. The day was filled with Sara's famous burgers and ice cream cake, games involving intense baby trivia and baby food tasting, some good quality social time among friends, and of course presents! Unfortunately none for me :(, unless you count the candy we gave out to everyone as a gift. However I was short changed of that as well since Sara ate half of it. O the struggles I have.
Sunday was a little less eventful. I played golf in the morning with a league from work, and Sara read her book on the couch. The afternoon consisted of me changing my oil, and then us relaxing at a friends for a birthday cookout.
Before I leave you, I would like to share my ice cream cake pickup experience. (Remember - this was for a baby shower.) When Elijah and I entered the place of business, the lady brought the cake out and said, "Well, here you go. One cake with ummm...'Happy Birthday Elijah' on it" Not sure if I should laugh, panic, or cry; I took the cake to look at it myself as I responded "....um, yeah. Or maybe 'Congratulations Jackie and Elijah'?" Apparently reading decorative frosting is not a strong suit at........the place w/ two letters in the name.
2 comments:
I think you did get a present Mr. Farny!! Gotta show some love to the Ducks :)
How quickly I forgot about your generous gift. Thanks again for the dry-fit shirts. I sported my duck "pride" the other day at the gym.
Post a Comment