Seattle - Juneau - Skagway - Ketchikan - Victoria BC - Seattle
So we were on our way on the first leg, Seattle to Juneau. Now they say it's just one day of cruising, but it's tough to fool an engineer. We left Seattle at 4pm on Saturday, and arrived at Juneau at Noon on Monday. This means we cruised for 44 straight hours. Hardly one day in my opinion. O' well
The morning brought more exploring and the first taste of the buffet. It was divine. My favorite for breakfast was the french toast and banana bread. (not together of course) However nothing could hold a candle to the pineapple. Now I don't know what it taste like in Hawaii, but I guessing it could have not gotten much better. Once we quickly discovered this divine treat, I don't think a meal went by where the entire family didn't have at least 3 slices of pineapple with each trip to the line.At one point Sara's mom asked her brother Jason and I why we had so much pineapple on our plate. We explained to her that it was a requirement from the wait staff that you must consume at least three pieces with each plate you use at the buffet. I am not sure if she bought it or not.
After breakfast we tried to play shuffleboard, but that proved to be difficult in the gale force winds we were encountering. So after a face numbing hour of play, we called it quits and went to find something warmer to do. The girls took up some Bingo, which Sara's aunt, Lynn, won $150. She said she would buy everyone lunch on the boat....nice try Lynn. She did however buy a bucket of beer later that evening. (Big Spender!)
Lunch was exciting because a special table was set out with sushi, one of my favorites. Only problem was it was mass produced sushi. Which means it wasn't the best I have ever had. In fact, I would have to rate it towards the bottom. At least they tried. Maybe that was why I never saw it again the rest of the trip.
The afternoon included a lecture from the "on-board" naturalist. He was a guy who lived on his own in Alaska for 2 years, had some kind of PhD in something, and wrote a book or two. The important thing to know is that when he talked he paused, and held out, the syllable, of every, sentaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnce. This became very, annoooooooyyyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. Near the end, your wanted to, cut your ears oooofffffffffffffffffffffffffffff. But this was another source of enjoyment for us on the trip. (Along with talking in British accents and saying "muster station D". See Day 2)
There were also some crazy family members who swam in the pool. They didn't complain to much while swimming because the water was a cool 84 degrees. But once they got out, the 25 mph winds sent them into a panic as they tried to get warm. I, myself elected to stay warm and dry.

This was also the 1st of 2 formal nights on the ship, followed by the "Taste of Broadway" as the evening show. It was performed by the dancers of the golden princess. I would have enjoyed the show if;
a.) I knew more of the songs
b.) it didn't feel like a sauna in the theater.
Personally, I would have thought they would try and keep it a little cooler so everyone didn't fall asleep. Especially considering the age of those present. (which while I am on the topic. About half of the 2,600 passengers carried an AARP card, the other were families doing the same thing we were doing. So you can just imagine how hopping the dance club was on board. We went up there around 11:30 one night and were about knocked over by a tumbling tumbleweed.) I guess the toe-tapping tunes kept everyone going. No wonder i didn't know any of the songs.
Off to bed, to rest up for our first day in port.
No comments:
Post a Comment